10.11.2014

Trusting God and Not in what God has Done.

 “Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever.” Psalm 125:1

Trust in the Lord. Trust, trust, and more trust.  How many times have I heard trust in the Lord? How many times have I sung the lyrics “Trust and Obey. For there’s no other way to be happy in Jesus than to trust and obey.”   Every single day I tell somebody to just trust in the LORD.  Every single day I have to tell myself to trust.  A few months ago, I began doing a study through the Psalms of Ascent.  To be perfectly honest, I had never heard the term before and Richard had to explain to me what the Psalms of Ascent were.  Psalms and Proverbs are not books that I gravitate towards. Ever. I struggle through those chapters and quickly find my way back to the stories.  This time I am sticking them out and really learning their significance.  More than once have the verses floated to my mind randomly throughout the day. 

The ways I trust the LORD:

  • He will provide my every need.
  • He is faithful and true.
  • He will keep his promises to His children.
  • He will never leave us or forsake us.
  • He cares and loves me
  • Nothing I will ever do will make the LORD love me less
  • Nothing I will ever do will make the LORD love me more.
  • All things work together for good for those who love God
  • No matter what happens in/to my life, He is in control and He is good.  All the time.


I look at this list and I know it should be longer.  My list fluctuates with my spiritual life. Sometimes it is much shorter.  There have been several times in my life where only one thing was on this list. Days where I only had the strength to whisper “God is good.” Some days the list is much longer.  Why is that?  Shouldn’t my list be the same no matter what is going on in my life? No matter what state my spiritual walk is in?  God never changes and His word never changes.  His promises to me never change either.  Why then do I sometimes struggle with trusting the Lord will all my heart?
As I type this blog my car is currently in the shop.  If you know anything about us you know that this is not unusual.  It seems like we always have a vehicle in the shop.  I have the uncanny ability to break everything I touch. Not intentionally of course.  Since we have been married, every appliance in our home has had to be fixed or replaced. Even the handle on the oven door fell off.  I am extremely tired of conversations that start with “Honey, I am very sorry but I broke…..” This is exactly the reason we do not purchase brand new things.  They do not last. I would spend $20,000 on a brand new car and something that wasn’t covered under the warranty would break.  This ability is not exclusive to inanimate objects either.  The precious tiny kitten I picked out 7 years ago came with all sorts of medical issues.  

 “As for me, I said in my prosperity, ‘I shall never be moved.’ By your favor, O LORD, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed.” Psalm 30:7

How do I know that I can trust God through these trials? I trust because He has seen us through every single one of them.  He has provided our needs through every single crisis.  Psalm 30:7 is where my brain has been camping out the whole day.  Do I trust God because of who He is or do I trust God because of his provision in my life?  Is there a difference?

If God had not seen us through all those trials would I still trust him?  What if I woke up tomorrow and everything I own was gone? What if Richard was gone? What if my health was gone? What if God never blesses us with children?  What if he blesses us with children and then takes them away? Would my mountain still stand strong?

“Even if our security is something God has given us—our gifts, talents, loved ones, church family, consistent victory, passion for His Word—our seemingly secure mountain ultimately will fall into the sea.  We can grow secure in the favor God has shown us, but God’s favor and His person are not synonymous.  If our trust is in manifestations of God’s favor rather than God Himself, we will crumble like dry clay when He calls us to walk a distance of our journeys entirely by faith and not by sight.” ~Beth Moore, Stepping up: A Journey through the Psalms of Ascent.

So how do I transfer my trust from His provision to Him?  I am still working that out.  I am going to let God’s word speak for itself:

“To you, O LORD, I cry, and to the LORD I plead for mercy:  ‘What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit?  Will the dust praise you?  Will it tell of your faithfulness?  Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me! O LORD, be my helper!’ You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent.  O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever!” Psalm 30:8-12
Renew us by the transforming of our minds Lord!  

In Christ,


Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment